From the Editor's Computer
For Christmas, I received a plaque that reads: “Everyone is born right-handed, only the gifted overcome it.” While lefties everywhere wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment, it does apply to other circumstances in our lives.
You were born…
· In a particular moment in time
· In a particular locality
· During particular series of events, both local, national and international
· To a particular set of parents
· Into a particular nuclear and extended family
· Into a particular ethnic background
· Into a particular segment of society
· Into a particular economic class
· Into a particular belief system
· Into a particular tradition
But...that does not mean that your ‘lot’ in life is set in concrete, never to be changed.
We all have the opportunity to take those parts of our background which we had no control over and then chose our future. The factors that have shaped us are part of who we are, but they are not entirely who we are. We are constantly faced with new circumstances and events in our lives. These events and, more importantly, our reactions to them, are what shape our personality and character.
All of us are ‘gifted’ in one area or another. How are we overcoming what we can’t control to shape what we can...ourselves?