Friday 2 June 2006

June 2, 2006 Chautauqua

From the Editor's Computer  

  By the time you read this I will be buried deep in the school books as I began a new course.  The initial email from my professor stated that she was going easy on us the first week.  After completing two 1-page assignments, numerous readings from the textbook and other sources, the class discussion, and this week’s assignment, I’m convinced that her definition of easy isn’t the same as mine, making this intensive course more intensive!

   Last semester I ended up in conversation with one of my classmates regarding why students take online courses.  In the discussion he revealed that he puts in a minimum of 20 hours per week on each course (he took three courses last semester) and he firmly believed that an online course can only be effective if there are mandatory scheduled class interaction times throughout the week. 

   I countered with the statement that some of us take online classes because of the flexibility offered by not having to sit down at specific times during the week to study or go online.  I also mentioned I have don’t have 20 hours per week to study, which my classmate found totally inconceivable.

   Often while working on a course, I must make the choice to either work on readings and assignments, or participate in the class discussions as I don’t have time for both. 

   In fact, not only do I not have 20 hours per week to devote to studying, but I work out of the home less than 20 hours per week and I have less than 20 hours per to put the newspaper together.  Plus, I like to think that I have a life and hobbies somewhere in there.

   We need to be flexible not only in our outlook, but in how we use our time.  What areas of your life and schedule do you need more flexibility?

Beth


Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1venJkQHHAGP9rxu-dRBovhifKTDutvgN/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.