Friday 16 March 2007

March 16, 2007 Chautauqua


FROM THE EDITOR'S COMPUTER

This year is the first year of the expanded Daylight Savings Time.


I don’t know about you, but I really truly cannot see the point of Daylight Savings Time. It is nothing more than an illusion that society has bought hook, line and sinker.

First, we are not saving time anywhere by changing the clocks. Nor are we adding an extra hour to the day...we still have the same 24 hour span, not 25 hours! When we go back to regular time in the fall we don’t go from 25 hours to 24...or from 24 to 23 hours.

As for it being lighter at night. I don’t buy that either. This may surprise some of you, but the truth is that the daylight hours are increasing naturally. There is no need to tamper with the clocks to achieve precisely the same effect that we’re told we get with Daylight Savings Time. As an energy saver it leaves a lot to be desired. I didn’t have to turn on lights before it came in...now I do until the daylight hours get longer.

I had someone tell me once that it is for the farmers. Saskatchewan farmers have proven decade after decade that it is still possible to farm without Daylight Savings Time. Besides, here’s a news flash...your crop really couldn’t care less what time your watch says. Plus, I’m sure the livestock are blissfully unaware of whether you think you have more time or not.

In my opinion we’d be better off just leaving the clocks alone and dumping Daylights Savings Time. Makes you wonder what other societal illusions we should be questioning.

Beth


Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dEvM_n7VnR8IVR4O-lyQIoy9O13kt4Zt/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.