Friday 19 September 2008

September 19, 2008 Chautauqua


From the Editor's Computer

The other day I was enjoying a lovely drive to Alix as I admired the scenery and the fall colours.


A jarring note in the idyllic moment came as a truck in front of me approached an intersection and ventured way over into the other lane. The thoughts that raced through my mind included was the driver suffering a heart attack? Was there something on the highway? Did something happen to his truck?

No. It seems the driver ahead of me had an aversion to driving over the rumble strips before the intersection.

This isn’t the only time I’ve seen this happen. The first time I was exiting an intersection as an oncoming car suddenly decided, without any warning or other indication, to move right into my driving lane just to avoid the rumble strips. He came a little too close for comfort, too quickly.

I’m sorry, but I have no use for drivers like that. I don’t care what your reason is for such action as there really is no reason good enough to justify endangering yourself and the other drivers when you pull a stunt like that. There are rules to be obeyed when driving on our roads, and driving in the opposite lane, especially when it is occupied, is wrong.

We hear about how dangerous it is to drive while talking on the cell phone or eating. However, it is just as dangerous to move out of your proper lane to avoid the rumble strips at intersections with little regard for the rest of the traffic around you. Slow down...stay in your own lane….be safe and responsible.

Beth


Click here to read the complete issue of The Chautauqua.

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.