Friday 1 June 2012

June 1, 2012 Chautauqua


From the Editor's Computer

   Beginning when I was very sick as a 14 year old, and continuing through the years, I boxed up copies of various sayings, quotations, stories, magazines, and other clippings that I wanted to save for some future project.  As I was too sick to deal with them at the time (or so I thought), the boxes filled and multiplied.

   Years later, when I became much healthier and my schedule became much busier, items were still being tossed into boxes for some future day when I could finally tackle the contents.

   Then in 2004 and 2005, our house was painted so everything was boxed up and not all of it has been unpacked yet.

   Not only did I toss items into boxes, I also have many, many files on my computer that need sorted and read, and a decision made as to whether each file will be kept, used, or deleted.

   A couple years ago, I started to go through some of the boxes.  The contents were both familiar and yet a total surprise.

   In the boxes I found some truly timeless treasures that are as inspiring today as they were when I first read and clipped them out.

   What really surprised me was the multiple copies I had of some clippings.  Not a mere two or three copies of the same thing, I had six to a dozen of some of them!  Obviously the message in the saying or story was something I really needed to hear and learn from.

  I also found some items that I had no memory of keeping, nor could I figure out what possessed me to save them as they don’t speak to me at all, or are not something I believe in.

   And that is what makes the sorting project so fascinating.  It isn’t totally about the contents of the boxes, but rather discovering how I’ve changed and grown in my tastes, beliefs, and outlook on life, while at the same time, noticing what parts of me haven’t changed.

   As we experience more and more of life, we see things differently than we did five, ten, or more years ago.  Yet, we tend to hang onto beliefs and concepts that no longer have any value for us, even though we may have stopped believing in them years ago.  What do you need to sort in your life? 

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QqzulZkniGNVjMKuhhtVZ2pPqm86a3Gt/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.