Friday 20 September 2013

September 20, 2013 Chautauqua

 
From the Editor's Computer  

   I get some interesting reactions from people when I tell them I have a stressed liver. 

   Some are sure I need a liver transplant.  I don’t.  My liver is merely tired from working too hard.  It is not damaged. 

   Some need a “label” (aka diagnosis) to wrap their heads around what my situation is.  A stressed liver obviously isn’t a good enough description or label in their minds.  They want to hear that I have something more exotic like fibromyalgia or celiac disease.  A stressed liver is too plain and ordinary.

   Others say: “Never heard of it” or “an organ can’t be stressed” and they completely shut down.  As far as they are concerned, if they have not heard of it, it doesn't exist, and for them, it doesn’t and never will.

   It is entirely possible for any body part or organ to be stressed.  A heart attack results from a stressed heart.  Diabetes is from a severely stressed pancreas.  Cramps are the result of stressed muscles.  I could go on and on.

   There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio/Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. “  Shakespeare, Hamlet   

   There really is so little we truly know about our world, our bodies, and even ourselves. 

  We should be willing to learn what we can and invite conversation by saying, “I’ve never heard of it.  Tell me more…”
 
Beth
 
Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RF5PT7t4XmPKFSD3afSmJE3WXuIJgvRC/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.