Friday 1 March 2002

March 1, 2002 Chautauqua

From the Editor's Computer 

While I am proud to be Canadian, I am not a hockey fan.  There, I’ve confessed!

   Despite my lack of enthusiasm for one of Canada’s all-time favorite winter sports, I have managed to catch some definitive moments in the history of Canadian hockey.

   For instance, I watched the Calgary Flames defeat the Montreal Canadiens 4 to 2 to win the Stanley Cup for the first time ever in 1989.  Lanny McDonald retired shortly after that memorable game.

   I watched the incredible shoot-out between the Canadians and the Russians, which resulted in the Canadians earning a silver medal in the 1992 Albertville Olympics.  I even remember rookie, Eric Lindros, being given the opportunity to shoot the puck.

   More recently, I watch the Women’s Ice Hockey team receive their gold medals after beating the U.S. team in the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake.  No, I didn’t watch the game. 

   On the other hand, I sat riveted to the TV screen for the last half of the men’s hockey game and cheered when Canada won gold by a score of 5 to 2 against the U.S.  As the medals were presented to the team members, it was a shining moment in Canadian history as the Canada won Olympic gold in hockey for the first time in fifty years.

   I’m still not a hockey fan, but I am proud of our Canadian athletes. 

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HsuK_LxK-KKobKOsRFPpgTTNHo6PoL5O/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.