Friday 6 September 2002

September 6, 2002 Chautauqua



From the Editor's Computer

   Recently, I have had numerous folks come up to me and express their admiration, praise and support for my newspaper and my editorials.  I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone who reads the paper and Thanks for your support and well wishes.

   What amazes me, though, is the surprise that is expressed by some of these same folks as they compliment me.  I thought it was obvious that I could produce a quality paper and write thought-provoking editorials!  Now, on the other hand, if you’ve been chatting behind my back with my former English teachers I can see why you would have cause for concern!

   On a more serious note...many people in our world, as hard as they try not to be, are very strongly influenced by the expectations, realistic or not, of the people in their lives.  They suffer from guilt, insecurity, low self-esteem and fear.  If others expect you to be something you are not, it is hard to live the life they want you to live.  No one wants to be put on a pedestal, and when you fall off (and believe me, you will)...it can really hurt.

   What dreams, skills, and projects have you put on hold or forgotten about because someone else thought that it didn’t meet their expectations for you?  How have you let the expectations of others hold you back, or paralyse you, from pursuing certain dreams?

   The only person you have to answer to is yourself.  The only person’s approval you have to obtain is that of yourself. 

    Let no feeling of discouragement prey upon you, and in the end you are sure to succeed. (Abraham Lincoln)

   If you believe that you can do it, you will be able to, despite what others may think.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15F3q_Tg54L2y0MNFF9GLBIY-3F5ckwfY/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.