Friday 2 October 2009

October 2, 2009 Chautauqua


From the Editor's Computer

Last month a cousin sent me a link to an online jukebox and I have been having fun getting reacquainted with some great oldies from my childhood years.



These tunes, from the early 1950s, include:

  • Hernando’s Hideaway (Archie Bleyer)
  • Shake Rattle and Roll (Bill Haley & The Comets)
  • Sh-Boom (Crew-Cuts)
  • Dear Hearts and Gentle People (Bing Crosby)
  • That’s Amore (Dean Martin)
  • A Guy is a Guy and Secret Love (Doris Day)
  • The Old Master Painter (Dick Haymes)
  • I Get So Lonely (Four Knights)
  • Rose, Rose I Love You and Cry of the Wild Goose (Frankie Laine)
  • Jambalaya (Jo Stafford)
  • Pretend (Nate King Cole)
  • Changing Partners and Mockin’ Bird Hill (Patti Page)
  • Slow Poke (Pee Wee King)
  • Papa Loves Mambo (Perry Como)
  • Botch-a-me (Rosemary Clooney)
  • Stranger in Paradise (Tony Bennett)(br>
Before I go any further, I must point out that I personally was not a child in 50s...I’m not that old, no matter what my sister may say!


While I did not grow up during the era when these songs were big hits, I was introduced to them by my parents and grandparents and they are a pleasant part of my childhood memories.


Maybe it’s time you took a trip down a musical memory lane.


Beth

Click here to read the complete issue of The Chautauqua.

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.