Friday 5 February 2010

February 5, 2010 Chautauqua

From the Editor's Computer

Lately I have been experiencing a different relationship with time. While the first month of the year seemed to whiz by so fast, individual days are not speeding by as fast.


Part of the reason for this strange phenomenon is that my watch stopped working three weeks ago and I’ve been watchless ever since. That is the longest I’ve even been without a watch. In fact, I usually feel incomplete if I don’t have a watch on my wrist to look at all the time.

While I don’t have a watch, I have access to a number of clocks at any given time - on my computer, my cell phone, on my desk, on the wall, in my car and watches on other people’s wrists. So I still know what time it is.

Without a watch to let me know how fast the minutes are winging by, I have noticed that they don’t fly by quite so fast. It seems I am able to get more done, and with much less rush.


Our perception of time truly is elastic, as it stretches and shrinks depending on what we are involved in, and whether we are thinking of the past, present or future.


I was having a good time
and the hours flew by.
I was bored and time dragged.
I was on a tight deadline
and time was running out.
The beauty of the mountains
was so breathtaking that time stood still.
– Deepak Chopra


Beth


Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VZ_dFQawKGxFVzVjTk0D4JaG5IblPQ5X/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email:
thechautauqua@gmail.com.