Friday 6 August 2010

August 6, 2010 Chautauqua


From the Editor's Computer

2010 is a very momentous year for me as it means I have been healthy for 10 years!!!!

When I was 14 years old, I had a very chronic case of mono which basically wiped me, and my immune system, out. Though I was told I’d grow out of the debilitating weakness and other problems by the time I graduated from high school, it actually took an additional 9 years to see real improvement.

From Grade 9 on, I experienced ongoing fatigue, chronic colds, chronic laryngitis (lost my voice for 5 months in 1989), and almost-daily chronic migraines, just to name a few of the more obvious symptoms.

I experienced bone-deep weariness and literally wasn’t able to lift my head off the pillow. I had days when I would walk across the room and then have to rest for a long time before I could make the return trip. I often slept 2/3rds of the day, or more. I had to force myself to make it through a whole day of school - though, usually I ended coming home with a migraine and going right to sleep. When I started working, I worked one day, slept all day the next, worked the following day, and then slept the day after that.

Despite such severe health challenges, I graduated (high school and university), I completed the Duke of Edinburgh Award program, I worked two days a week, and earned my Highland Dance Teacher’s Certification.

It was a very long struggle, to get to the level of health I enjoy now - about 95%, I’m not quite at 100% - there was no magic potion, only lots determination and perseverance.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16fGUwmN1qQxBatmUqm2dtkXkMY8TBgKv/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.