Friday 20 January 2012

January 20, 2012 Chautauqua


From the Editor's Computer     

     Yes, it has been 10 whole years since I started this adventure.  Where did the time go?  As I told someone not long ago: time really flies when you’re having fun, or are far too stressed out to notice its passage.

   I took on the task of publishing The Chautauqua not knowing how I would manage it, only knowing I’d figure it out eventually.  Of course, life took some unexpected turns that month (okay, when doesn’t my life take unexpected turns?), so I not only had to quickly figure out how to put the paper together and send it to the Advocate electronically, I also had a very short time frame to register for my first course in my online Master degree program.  Nothing like deadlines and intense pressure to get the blood pumping.

   I cannot begin to tell you how much fun I have had publishing The Chautauqua twice a month, as well as delivering it to the various communities.  The experience has surpassed even my own expectations - once I got over my initial trepidation! 

   A lot has occurred in the past 10 years to us all:
  • communities experienced good times and not so good times
  • some long-time businesses closed, and new ones opened
  • schools grew or were closed
  • babies were born, as old-timers and youngsters passed away.
  • significant milestones were reached, and new goals set
  • familiar faces moved away, and new friends were made
  • there was joy, happiness, stress, and tears
   In short, while there were many large, momentous events that have occurred in the past 10 years, those years were made up of a greater multitude of ordinary, average, everyday moments strung together.  We may not remember each moment as they were too mundane at the time, yet we can look back on the past 10 years and see how far we’ve come.  And we have come a long way.  We’re not the same people we were back then.  New experiences and relationships have shaped us and helped us grow.  Here’s to the future, and all the wonder it holds for us.

   Thank you for allowing me to be part of your lives, via the printed word, for the past 10 years!  
Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jx3Ytgcuo1bWgDMV-B__YCCDlzz3QElF/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.