Friday 21 June 2013

June 21, 2013 Chautauqua


From the Editor's Computer
 

   Ever wish you could just drop out of your life for a time?  Escape from it all?  The stresses, the pressure, the ongoing hype and activity.

   I can tell you from recent experience, it certainly can have its advantages.  Though I haven’t really been in a position to enjoy the respite - it hasn’t been a relaxing vacation, but rather a time of convalescence.

   On one hand, priorities suddenly become crystal clear.  When you have almost no energy to do anything, you figure out quick which one thing you will expend that limited energy on, and the rest can cheerfully go by the wayside.

   I have also been extremely fortunate that I have something that will heal, and that I have had some wonderful people to help carry the slack for me.  While I may not have been present, the work and obligations have continued to be fulfilled.  So much so, that many probably haven’t even noticed my lengthy absence.

   While who we really are has no bearing whatsoever on the externals in our lives, we still, very humanly, use the externals to define ourselves.

   It is only when there is a dramatic change in one or more of those externals that we start to redefine ourselves, and step away from the previous labels.

   During this time away, I’ve experienced a few changes in the “labels” I’ve used to think of myself, mostly in relation to my health.  Past illnesses are no longer a part of my “story” as it turns out I didn’t actually experience them at all.

   Some daily routines are undergoing a slight change as I integrate new lifestyle changes into my existence.

   As well, the way I view my work is starting to change.  Priorities are becoming clearer and what is more superficial is being weeded out.  I’m revamping how I approach the various tasks I have to do.  

   This isn’t a one-time, or overnight, process, it is an ongoing evolution in my thoughts, words, and actions.  Who knows what I’ll discover about myself or my life in the days ahead.

Beth

Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17kZIx-Fc1yX2JQEltU_UGkbCXuosPWtv/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.