Friday 2 August 2013

August 2, 2013 Chautauqua

 
From the Editor's Computer 
 
   Usually when I get to the part of the paper where it is time to magically pull an editorial out of thin air and write it, I use a few different methods to generate my ideas.

   Usually, what I write about comes from a chance comment I heard, or a conversation I’ve had with someone.  Or from a mishmash of conversations and comments from any given week.  However, I haven’t been having too many conversations with people in the past few months, and  I am not out and about to overhear many chance comments.  I’m almost a hermit, in fact.  I’m completely out of the loop right now.

   Another option I use is to draw on something I’ve read.  Again, in the last few weeks and months, I haven’t been reading much.  Partly because my brain has been too fuzzy to concentrate - which makes remembering a challenge - and my eyes have been too blurry to see what I’m supposed to be reading, and partly because I’ve been flipping through various cookbooks trying to find unique recipes that use food ingredients I can actually eat.  I’ve discovered that for the most part Vegan recipes don’t work for my situation, nor do Gluten-free recipes, Dairy-free recipes, Allergy-free recipes, Primal/Paleo recipes or the vast majority of Raw-food recipes. 

   Some times, I’ll write about what is going on of late in my life.  Well, of late in my life there hasn’t been much going on as I usually feel too exhausted to do anything!  The diet changes are helping, yet they don’t address the complete picture of my health situation.  I did start going for acupuncture in Red Deer with Dr. Wu last month.  Haven’t noticed any changes yet, despite assurances that everything I’m experiencing is totally reversible.

     On rare occasions, when the clock is ticking very loudly in my ear and the paper deadline is looming closer and closer, I will just start writing and see what comes out, and if it is something I can use.  Some times it is, some times it isn’t. (Yes, that is the route I’m going with right now).  And some times I manage to surprise myself, when what ends up in the paper is not what I started to write about.

Beth
 
Read the complete issue of The Chautauqua here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PL2ELDoNZ8YFGVZ78F6UH_TvWXu8hcFR/view?usp=sharing

To contact The Chautauqua, email: thechautauqua@gmail.com.